Monday, July 10, 2006

Coyote's on Alki Beach Grand Opening Review

I think everyone could have called this, but Coyotes on Alki says “closed till further notice." Coyotes is Alki's most recent casualty.


Coyote's on Alki just opened up on Alki Beach in West Seattle. The place was packed, but surprisingly we were seated in just minutes. This past Sunday it was in the 80s and what better way to spend the afternoon than at the water on Alki Beach eating some Mexican food. Mexican food always goes well with the heat. My girlfriend and I were first served chips, the multi colored kind, the standard at all Mexican Restaurants. The chips unfortunately were not heated served only at room temperature. I prefer the chips that are hot and fresh. Coyote's salsa tasted good, but not as good as Azteca's so I'd rate it average. I ordered the Carne Asada medium well and a house margarita and my girlfriend ordered the halibut fish and chips. The main course came out shortly thereafter, the potions were average for a Mexican Restaurant which is usually too much to eat anyway, but needless to say I wouldn't have it any other way. That's why people go to Mexican restaurants in the first place for the great food, and even greater portions. The unblended peach margarita was delicious, way, way above average. If tasted smooth and was an honest tequila filled drink .The Carne Asada was tender and with the sour cream and guacamole rolled into a soft flour tortilla it was delicous. My girlfriend’s fish and chips looked good, but the halibit was disappointing. The fish had a strong fishy taste (even stronger than the normal fishy taste fyi) and the breading was bland with most of the taste coming from the oil. My first question to my girlfriend is why the heck is she ordering fish and chips at a Mexican Restaurant? Since Mexican restaurants aren't usually known for their fish unless you visit Mazatlan Mexico where the seafood is awesome (Try the lobster or shrimp quesadillas) my advice is stick to the meat, beans, and rice variations on Coyote’s On Alki’s menu it will save you a very obvious lesson. Overall the food was average.

Address:

Coyote's On Alki

2770 Alki Ave.

Seattle WA 98116

Phone:

206-923-ALKI

Rating:

***

3 out of 5 (Alright place, pretty average, overpriced, my GF and my cousin both complained about the service here saying "waitresses had attitude." I didn't see it, but both wanted to point this out.)

5 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger The Doggg Father said...

Actually, if you take the tax out of the total bill (which you don't tip on) it is about 15% if not a percent or two higher. When is that last time you ate out? You might not be a cheapskate, but your an idiot...

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Daniel Young said...

'West Seattle Resident’ if you actually read my review, which you probably didn't, I bought a drink. If you've been to a bar lately you'd know you don't tip a full 15% on alcoholic drinks. I actually over tipped. I like the gratuity to be between 15%-20%. Thanks for reading my Seattle Restaurant Blog. If you have a review feel free to submit it, I'll post it.

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Daniel Young said...

I've been asking all my friends and family on what they feel are the best Mexican Restaurants in and around the Seattle area. Some contenders include Gordito's, The Matador, Agua Verde, and La Carta de Oaxaca. I will keep checking around. I've already dined at Gordito's Healthy Mexican Food and it's very good, but Huge portions bring a appetite. Try the Horchata at Gordito's it goes great with Mexican Food.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i ate at coyotes on thurs day the 2nd the customer sevice was horrible. the bad part was that it wasn't even busy. it took forver just to get chips and salsa and forever to get the meal. this has been like the two times i have been there, they just lost a paying customer. I recommend to go to any other mexican restrant where you actually treated like family

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

I agree with Barry about the Customer Service. I'd been wanting to go to Coyote's for the past year and finally made it. When my friend and I walked in, we felt invisible at first. We were seated and brought water, chips and salsa fairly quickly but waited about 10 minutes before finally flagging someone down to find out who our waitperson was. The young woman we asked said she wasn't but was happy to become our waitress. The rest of the time was fine as she was attentive to our needs for the most part. It was only about 50% capacity and there were at least 6 or 7 waitstaff. The food was very good and so were the Mojitos, so that helped an uncomfortable situation become better. It appears to me that the owners are not training their staff, in fact I saw no one that even resembled an owner or manager anywhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home